Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Tiny: A Story About Living Small

Having downsized from 3000 sq. ft. to 1200 sq. ft. in the move from Lincoln to Vancouver, I found this documentary to be very interesting. Maybe the difference with our situation is that Vancouver is so expensive that even if one were to build a "tiny house," nonetheless the land upon which it sits would be extremely expensive. All that to say, seeing that I am researching the notion of "home" and "homecoming" in my doctoral work, I loved some of the reflections:

"Since 1970, the average house size in the United States has doubled, but for some people, bigger isn't necessarily better." -Christopher Smith, producer

"Home is hard to define because it is not one thing; it is a collection of details that all contribute to tell the story of who we are and where we belong. . . . I learned that whatever it is, home is never something that we build alone." -Christopher Smith, producer

"I think for me, a sense of home is a sense of belonging." -Dee Williams

No comments: