Friday, August 22, 2014

An Open Letter to Richard Dawkins

This letter makes me proud to have spent fifteen years in Nebraska. I do not know personally the one who wrote the letter, but he is from Lincoln, and I held back the tears as I read. If you did not catch it, recently, Richard Dawkins advocated that it was a moral imperative to abort Down's Syndrome babies. Ugh- to call such evil good hurts my heart. During my early years in youth ministry, I drove a school bus to supplement my income. I drove a bus for mentally and developmentally disabled kids; and it was one of the most joyous times of my life. I think of one boy in particular named Jeff. Jeff had Down's Syndrome and greeted me each morning with a hug and a smile. I learned about a year later after I had moved on to attend seminary that Jeff had passed away because of a heart condition. I often think of Jeff and the joy he brought during his short life. http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2014/08/an-open-letter-to-richard-dawkins

Also, here was a post from a while back about Tim Harris, a young man with Down's who owns a restaurant! It's an awesome clip and worth your time. http://hsumike.blogspot.ca/2013/12/restaurant-owner-tim-harris.html

No comments: