Thursday, October 29, 2015

Go Royals!!!

A part of growing up near Kansas City and following a small market baseball team like the KC Royals is that the lows are low and the highs are high. The Royals had not been to the MLB playoffs for 29 years until last year when they went all the way to the World Series and then lost by one run in game 7 of the WS against the San Francisco Giants. I wrote about my excitement last year, of the Royals returning to the WS: KC, KC, Here I Come! My Royals ran into a performance of historic proportions in the work of SF pitching ace Madison Bumgarner, but I was so proud of how hard they played, never giving up, always playing with energy and purpose. Were it not for Bumgarner's other-worldly performance, they would have brought back their second WS title in franchise history back to KC last year. I was a 14-yr.-old in grade 9 when the Royals won their first WS title; back in 1985, I was able to attend Game 2 and an older gentleman leaned over and said, "you will remember this evening for the rest of your life young man." He was right. 

It is now 30 years later (wow, am I that old?! I am : )), and the Royals are up by two games to zero against the New York Mets in the 2015 WS; however, tomorrow night they go to NY for the next three games. Let's see if they can get it done; either way, it is an exciting time to be a KC sports' fan. I read somewhere that 79% of all the televisions in the metropolitan KC area were on for the first game of the WS a couple of nights ago. I imagine that number was even higher last night for game 2. Part of me has contemplated getting on a plane if the WS goes into next week as there is nothing like the broader Kansas City community on fire when one of their sports' teams is doing well; however, even from a distance, up in Canada, it has been an amazing October for me. Though I probably won't make the trip, it has been amazing to follow my team from a distance. In fact, it was fun wearing my KC Royals hat around town here in Vancouver BC while locals were all rooting for the Blue Jays in the ALCS!

No comments: