Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Cultural Engagement and Alignment, part. 2 (sort of)

OK, so I had a hard time spitting out what I was trying to say in my 05.27.08 posting. I even had a hard time explaining it to a small group of friends in Colorado this last week. But then I was reading "The Irresistible Revolution," by Shane Claiborne recently and Claiborne said it perfectly:


"My mandate is straight from the mouth of my heavenly King, through the lips of the Prince of Peace - to love my enemies - and yet I still falter. May we cling to the truth that every human being is created in the image of God. Do we believe the children of Iraq are just as precious as the children of New York? A love for our own people is not a bad thing, but why should love stop at the border? We, the people of rebirth, have an allegiance that runs much deeper than nationalism" (pp. 366-67).


Well said Claiborne. Do I recommend the rest of his book? I don't know - the book did a lot of things to me, and I'm still sorting through it all. I'll say this much- stay away from the book if you don't like books "doing things to you."

1 comment:

Jake said...

That's a good way to put it. Claiborne really challenges you and messes with your head a lot. Now you need to go read Jesus for President ;).