Saturday, June 12, 2010

NPR's "This American Life : #408 Island Time"

Recently I was driving up to Walthill to serve on the Omaha reservation.  I had two hours on my hands and a lot of beautiful Nebraska country in front of me as I traveled North on I-77.  I listened to a one-hour podcast put out by NPR's "This American Life."  This piece reflects on some of the complexities of implementing in Haiti what the typical American might think of as "simple business solutions" for productivity and growth.  It is a worthwhile, provocative and challenging piece, a must-hear for anyone interested in doing ministry in places like Haiti.  But it will involve a commitment of time (one hour).

You should can listen to it on streaming audio:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/408/island-time

Otherwise, it is available for 99 cents on Itunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/408-island-time/id374328413?i=374329329&ign-mpt=uo%3D6

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't need to buy it for 99 cents from iTunes, Steve Jobs doesn't need your money.

Just go to http://www.thisamericanlife.org/ and either stream the episode, or subscribe to the podcast. Donate and support This American Life, not Apple.

Mike Hsu said...

Great to know. I'll make the correction

Anonymous said...

Just noticed this story from Planet Money this morning, they also have a lot of really good stories in their archives about Haiti, its economy, and other international aid policies and effects.

Haven't listened to this latest one, but this is one of my favorite podcasts so I'm sure it's going to please: How Foreign Aid is Hurting Haitian Farmers

The title is a little evocative of "How Helping Hurts" as well. Enjoy!