Monday, October 8, 2012

Mosaic

One of the things I love doing is visiting other church families. I travelled to a number of area churches back in 2008 when I had a summer sabbatical from my Sunday responsibilities. Since I have a sabbatical this month in October, I am traveling to different churches each Sunday as well. A pastor friend of mine was once visiting another congregation on a Sunday and someone recognized him as being the pastor of another church. My friend was asked, "so Pastor, are you checking out the competition?" My friend responded beautifully, "no, just another part of the family." Unity / Catholicity in the church is something I care about a great deal and have blogged quite a bit about:

http://hsumike.blogspot.com/2011/09/finale-unitive-vision-of-christendom.html

http://hsumike.blogspot.com/2012/03/unfinished-agenda-by-lesslie-newbigin.html
http://hsumike.blogspot.com/2011/09/true-church-behind-curtain.html

Well, so I enjoyed my time yesterday at Mosaic. First of all, I was struck by this body's search for and offer of authentic Gospel living. Secondly, I was glad for the reach of Mosaic's ministry drawing in folks that probably would not fit in most traditional church settings. Good for Mosaic, for I think folks on the margins would have been those Jesus would have spent most his time with. Finally, as I looked at their website, I was struck by the natural beauty of this picture of Lincoln located on their opening page. It reminded me that we really do have a beautiful city worth giving our lives for.

"But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare."  -Jer. 29:7

No comments: