Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Still Here

I haven't blogged for a little while but wanted you to know I'm still here. Three things happened to me recently: 1) I caught a liberating sense of approaching completion as I'm down to 1.25 books and about 400 pages, after having started in mid-Feb. with what was then a 2800-2900 page journey to be completed by my first D.Min. co-hort meeting May 23rd; 2) I found myself in a book for the degree program that didn't seem to have as direct a connection with my audience, so chose not to blog about it (if you want to know what book, Imaging God: Dominion as Stewardship, by Douglas John Hall; it's the 2nd book in my program so far that I have not blogged about); and 3) I got somewhat "distracted" as I started reading A Problem from Hell by Samantha Power about the history of U.S. policy towards global genocide. Given the subject, I won't call the Power book "pleasure reading," but it's been nice for the first time since mid-Feb. to read something of my own choosing. Then, again my good friend Harry Riggs likes to say, "books choose us." I was given the book after a conversation with my Ethiopian friend Zenebe Beyene who had just introduced me to a young man who lost both his parents in the Rwandan genocide of 1994. Hopefully before too long, I'll have something more to share about my readings.

No comments: