Friday, February 12, 2010

Last Day in Haiti ... Until We Return in March

It feels weird to say this is our last day in Haiti, after having been here since Feb3rd. We will help out in any way we can, have lunch at Gie's house (just as we have all week). Gie is a local who helps out with GCA's ministry. After lunch, we will head back to the Dominican Republic and stay the night at the San Juan in the DR. Frank, Brian and a guy named Diego who came with Brian as a spanish speaker to get through the DR, will leave tomorrow. Chris Tran and I will fly out and should be to Lincoln by the evening of Valentine's Day. Originally, Gene, Trey and I could not get out of the DR until Tuesday and into Lincoln until Wednesday. But Gene had his paralegal Vern look for a single ticket for me to get back to Lincoln on Sunday. Isn't Gene a great guy? And thanks Vern for your work for me! I've never met you, but I appreciate you! Gene and Trey will do the father-son thing in the DR for a couple days, and I will be reunited with my family Sunday. I can't wait. A few thoughts as we prepare to leave Haiti: 1) the Nebraska guys have given me grief for over 10 days now for blogging so much and you might wonder, "when does Mike actually help?" Let me leave it at this, I can't hold a candle to Gene, Trey and Chris when it comes to serving. They are awesome.; 2) we haven't yet been able to make contact with Michelle (girl with fibrous tumor), but Frank will be back multiple times in the coming weeks and will continue to try; 3) we have so much to bring back and report to Grace Chapel people and can't wait to bring back our 34 people in late March; 4) thank you for your prayers... they have been AMAZING. I've never seen prayer work this powerfully and clearly; 5) Trey got a job in Haiti (I am not kidding ... he will move here in March ... I'll let the Summerlins give you details on that one). Thank you friends!

1 comment:

pbaker said...

Mike, I praise God for what you have been able to accomplish in Haiti. I want to share a praise from here as well. The students, families, and staff at Pershing Elementary School in Lincoln, Nebraska have raised $1005 that will be sent to ESMI. I am especially proud of their involvement because many of our families know what it like to live in poverty. I am anxious to hear how you accomplished this daily blog thing since I have vowed to do the same when I go so that my students, etc can share in the experience. I know that I have been blessed to be able to read yours. Welcome home!