Saturday, February 6, 2010

Yellow Journalism

I learned this term in the one AP class I took in high school. I still remember the concept that for something to be "newsworthy," it has to be sensationalized. Look, I know there are decent people who work for news media. There are a couple of media outlets here at the orphanage, 60 minutes being one of them and these people seem to be tender and dear people. A cameraman this morning was trying to console one of the orphans who is thirteen and pregnant from having been gang-raped. This child was very attached to "Mama" Beth Fox and Beth left today, ... there were a lot of inconsolable tears. There are decent people in media, no doubt; however, I've been pretty p.oed. with how the news only reports the stuff that is shocking to the senses. No wonder there is so much fear among family and friends related to us coming here.... how does the saying go? Same song, ... different.... I've been coming to Haiti for 6.5 years and people back in the States often think either I am: 1) crazy or 2) courageous for coming to this land perceived to be so "lawless" and dangerous. I've never once felt "in danger" in Haiti, and this trip has been no different. I've watched maybe a total of twenty minutes of news media since January 12th, and it wasn't helpful. Yellow journalism sells and we buy, but YJ doesn't do justice to the good things that are happening in a place like Haiti (even now) and God forbid the news would report how the Gospel of Jesus Christ and Christ's people are bringing so much of that good. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

No comments: