Thursday, February 4, 2010

Moise Vaval and Haitian Hospitality

I saw Pastor Moise Vaval again. Moise is the in-country Haitian director of The Global Orphan Project. I met Moise for the first time back in 2004 when Mike Fox and I traveled to Haiti for our first times. Moise lost his eight-year-old son Jean-Marc in the earthquakes. Jean-Marc would have celebrated his ninth birthday on Jan. 17th. When I saw Moise, I gave him a hug, ... and what do you say? They felt like empty words, but I told him I was sorry for his loss and that I had been praying for him. That was all that needed to be said, ... and maybe I said too much. In the moment, I was glad for the trivialities of "small talk" as I asked him about PaP, his ministry, how his people were doing, etc. Later, when returning from the trip where I jumped into the back of the pick-up truck, Moise insisted that I sit inside the truck and that he sit in the back. I said "no" at first but then quickly realized that I could not "out-hospitality-ize" this dear brother. On the way back to the Ebenezer orphanage in Croix Des Bouquets (where we are staying), I sat in the air-conditioned cab, while Moise sat in the back. Pray for Moise Vaval and his family.

No comments: