Monday, February 8, 2010

Still Glad to be Here, ... But ... Diarrhea ...

Today was just one of those days. I ate something bad yesterday (I'm going to guess it was the goat) so I've had stomach stuff and diarrhea all day. I got stung by a stupid Haitian bee two days ago, and now I have an irritated and puffy spot on the back of the neck. I've been stung one other time on the neck by a stupid American bee when I performed the outdoor wedding of Levi and Courtney Drake. I tell the Drakes that of all my weddings over the years, theirs is the most memorable, hands down. We miss the Drakes because they had the gall to follow God's call on their lives to Wash DC... but I digress. I missed my wife's birthday yesterday and just learned I will miss Valentine's Day since the earliest flight back into the KC won't be until Feb. 17th. We were shooting for the 13th but everything's booked. And then there's this hole the size of Jupiter in my heart because I miss my kids so dang much. I know they must miss me, especially my Mia. We've been super-close every since she entered the world.... nine more days until I see my kids? Pardon me for a second ... sucks. I was thinking today that there are going to be sixteen days in the lives of my children when I was absent. Do you know how much development and discovery happens in the life of a child in one day, let alone sixteen?! I think also that all this is compounded by the fact that this is the first day I haven't hung out with little kids. It's just me, the guys, our hotel room in Mirebalais and my diarrhea. One of those guys is Trey Summerlin. Let me rave for a second about Trey Summerlin. Trey is nineteen and has a huge heart for the Haitians. Trey has a very considerate heart. Dude just brought me a 7up and said he was sorry I wasn't feeling well, said he was praying for me! Are you kiddin' me? What was I doing at nineteen? I don't know? Probably picking my nose, playing Tecmo Bowl on my 8bit Nintendo system and trying to pose as a student at the University of Kansas. Trey first went to Haiti when he was in high school, came back with a parasite, had diarrhea for six months and as a result decided he was going to pray about going to Haiti on a long-term basis. What a great servant this kid is. His dad is the same. Pray for me because I want to be strong for the huge container we are expecting to offload tomorrow.

3 comments:

Cassandra L. Hsu said...

Hey Mike, it's your sister and mom here. Glad to hear from Gene that you got some Immodium and are feeling better. Also want to let you know that you are on my ladies' bible study prayer list for the whole week.

Mom says to be watchful of your skin irritation from the bee sting. Just want to make sure you don't have an adverse allergic reaction to it.

Also, we remind you to take in plenty of fluids so you don't get dehydrated from your diarrhea.

Sorry to hear that your trip back home was delayed and that you'll miss Valentine's day, plus you miss your kids.

Well, do the best you can; that's all anyone can ask of you.

Tell your friends thanks for helping to take care of you!!!
Love, Mom, Dad, and Cassandra

Mike Hsu said...

Love you Cass. I'm writing this two days later and feel really good. I'm very thankful as we have a lot of work today.

Levi Drake said...

We miss you too!!